Wednesday 25 July 2018

Wolfmother, Melkweg, 24 July 2018



Five takeaways from the show:

1. Amsterdam is still the most livable city for live music I have ever known

It will never get old that you can leave your ‘suburban’ family home at 8.30pm and be standing a couple of meters from the stage, beer in hand, ready to go for the opening song at 9pm. What a city….





2. Maybe there was a reason I could get so close to the stage 10 minutes before the show started

In retrospect, maybe I should have been suspicious that after pushing my way through a huge crowd at the back of the Melkweg and around the bar, I could so easily walk to the front of the stage?

From the moment the band hit their opening note, the crowd went crazy! It had been a hot and humid 30 degree day in Amsterdam and the venue could easily have been mistaken for a large oven. But that didn’t stop the punters getting a big mosh pit up and running, which at times resembled a riot more than “dancing”.

A quick shout out to Gimli, son of Glóin, the heavyset, long bearded dwarf standing next to me who had an amazing ability to hold back the throngs of shirtless sweaty men allowing me to watch the show in relative safety.


3. It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll)

When I first saw Wolfmother back in 2005/2006 they looked set to take over the world. Their debut, self-titled album was all over the radio in Australia and they won a swag of local awards. They then appeared to hit the big time in the US, with their songs featured on movies, TV shows and even picking up a GRAMMY for Best Hard Rock Performance, beating the likes of Nine Inch Nails and Tool.

Almost 15 years later, with 3 more albums released and numerous lineup changes you can’t help but wonder what happened?

The show tonight had 16 songs, 8 of which were from that debut album. Great for the fans and it certainly made for an enjoyable show with all the original hits that I remember. But you can’t help but wonder how big these guys could have been?


4. Who the hell are these guys?

Speaking of the numerous lineup changes, I did go into the show wondering who I would be seeing on stage beyond the very recognizable Andrew Stockdale with his trademark head of hair and beautiful collection of Gibson guitars.

I was impressed when we were introduced to Hamish Rosser on drums and Brad Heald on bass. Both originally from my part of the world in southern Sydney and better known as members of The Vines. They were also joined by Lachy Doley on keyboards, also a mainstay of Aussie touring bands.



5. Rock On

At the end of the day I guess it doesn’t really matter who’s on stage, how they got there or how big the stage is, it all comes down to the show.

And this show was on the money, balls to the wall, rock n roll.

16 songs, tight playing, no wasted space, all the hits. The crowd was jumping from the opening notes and it only got crazier over the next hour and 20 minutes.

I walked away a happy punter, covered in sweat, albeit mainly other peoples and I’ll be happy to line up again the next time they’re in town.

JP



No comments:

Post a Comment